
Just returned from Krasnodar where the team there was lovely and the weather was unexpectedly rainy. Going to the smaller cities of Russia, one is reminded of what life was like as a foreigner 10 years ago. An example...
Taxi Driver: Is this song in English?
Me: Yes.
Taxi Driver: Tell me what they are singing.
Me: (previously I had been trying desperately to ignore the horrid pop music) Well, he is obviously not a native speaker. He is singing, "I can smell you here, I need you here, but you are not here...", etc., etc.
Taxi Driver: (laughing HYSTERICALLY) What else? Say something else! How did you know he is not a native speaker?
Me: The same way you know I am not a native speaker of Russian! Do I really speak that poorly?
Taxi Driver: No! No! I have just never heard anyone speak Russian with an accent. (He, himself, is Armenian!)
(We arrive at our destination. I pay the driver. He takes the money, and declares with a steady gaze:) I will never ever spend this money!
My friend told me that I should have told him to give it back if he wasn't going to spend it! I will!
2 comments:
I love your stories!
Thanks, Kris!
Post a Comment